Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Some Ladies Purple Their Fingernails.

...So much for not slacking. *dies*

Well, I've painted my nails a few times since my last post, and I only snapped pictures of a few of the polishes (shame on me!). And then I totally lazed out and didn't bother editing the pictures, and then I was all "Ughhhh, whyyy?" about having to put any effort into writing a post, so, uh, I didn't.

But I am now. So at least there's that, right?

Anyway, today I bring you pictures of Kleancolor Holo Chrome. I bought the whole six piece Holo set on Amazon (it's labeled as the Starry Spring collection). Five of the six Holos are jelly based (Holo Yellow has a more metallic finish than the others) and all of them fairly packed with holographic microglitter (read: RAINBOW SPARKLIES!!!!!).

Now, there's a bit of a pattern to this collection. Holo Pink is a pastel pink jelly with holo microglitter. Holo Blue is a pastel blue with holo microglitter. Holo Orange and Holo Green follow suit. And even though Holo Yellow has a slightly different base, the actual color of the polish is... you guessed it: yellow.

So it stands to reason that Holo Chrome would be a some type of chrome polish with holo microglitter, right? WRONG! It's purple. But it's called Holo Chrome. Because just calling it Holo Purple would've been stupid.

Anywho, Holo Chrome is one of the two polishes in the collection that have a second, more subtle glitter added to the mix (the other polish is Holo Orange).  Holo Chrome not only has the standard holo microglitter, but there's also some tiny iridescent blue/violet glitter in there. You can't really tell unless you really look for it, but when combined with the purple jelly base of this polish, that subtle iridescent glitter really helps this polish to pop.

Artificial light. You can kinda make out the iridescent blue glitters in this picture. Like I said, super subtle, especially paired with all the holo glitter. But it's definitely in there.

Artificial light. A little blurry to help show the glitter.
Artificial light. And angles! Because it's always good to have some perspective.
 Application was fine. Because of the jelly base, these polishes take a few coats to build up to opaque. I think I used four coats* for this one. The polish dries pretty quickly, though, so that kind of makes up for the need for so many coats. The finish is a bit gritty, and it took two coats of topcoat to even out the surface (and, as you can see in the pictures, it still wasn't quite glass-smooth).

Flash. Holo Chrome is the least pastel of the collection. All the other polishes are quite a bit less bold.
Flash. Oh, holo glitter, I love you so. I seriously just sit and stare at my hands all the time when I use the polishes from this collection.
Some people have complained that Kleancolor polishes have a horrible smell to them. I haven't noticed this with any of mine. They may smell a bit different than some of my other polishes, but it's been my experience that different brands and different formulations have slightly different chemically smells on a fairly regular basis. The smell of Kleancolors doesn't strike me as particularly strong or offensive.

Natural light, shade.
Natural light, shade. Again. And now I'm getting distracted and just want to finish this post, so I'm not going to think of a good caption for this one.
I really like this color. I'm like a four year old. Anything that sparkles--especially rainbow sparkles--is going to score huge points in my book. And ever since I read the book 'Hailstones And Halibut Bones' by Mary O'Neill when I was, like, seven years old, purple polish has had a special place in my heart. So yeah, this polish is chock full of win.

RCN Ratings:
  • Price: 5/5 (I paid $12.95 for the six piece set)
  • Packaging: 5/5
  • Performance: 5/5
 And, just 'cause it still makes the little kid in me happy:


What Is Purple?
by Mary O'Neill

Time is purple just before night
when most people turn on the light--
but if you don't it's a beautiful sight.

Asters are purple, there's purple ink.
Purple's more popular than you think...
it's sort of a great Grandmother to pink.

There are purple shadows and purple veils,
some ladies purple their fingernails.

There's purple jam and purple jell
and a purple bruise next day will tell
where you landed when you fell.

The purple feeling is rather put-out
the purple look is a definite pout.

But the purple sound is the loveliest thing
It's a violet opening in the spring.




*I always use NailTek Foundation II Ridge Filling Base Coat to provide an even surface and prevent staining, and Sally Hansen Dries Instantly 30 Second Top Coat for quick and easy shine.

2 comments:

  1. Haha everybody's allowed to slack, do you! If the bloggin' ain't fun, don't sweat it (cuz yessss it can be a lot of effort).

    LOVE this polish though, I gotta get my hands on some of that purple! (because yes, not chrome weirdos) Purple is the best ever (even my house is purple, I'm that nerded out on it)

    There's a ladies-only Mardi Gras group down here called Krewe of Muses -- one of the taglines? THROW MORE GLITTER ON IT. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nail Nerd Lol, I've just been in a funk lately. My anemia's been crazy for some reason and my kidney stones have been acting up and I think I'm depressed and it all just adds up to me not feeling up to doing anything.

    But I gotta force myself to do some things. Work. Yoga. Eat (sometimes). Facebook. Blog. Otherwise I'd just sit in my room, staring at my nail wheels all day every day.

    And LOL, I love it. My friend was just talking about how she wants a glitter stapler, so it's totally my goal to find one for her now. MOAR GLITTARS PLZ!

    ReplyDelete