Friday, January 13, 2012

I'm Sorry That My Titles Are Often Non Sequitur-esque. Okay, I'm Not, Really, But... (Also Known As: The Longest Blog Title I'll Probably Ever Have)

I apologize in advance for the quality the pictures in this post. Usually the macro setting on my camera works pretty well, but I'm still figuring out the best lighting for nail shots (probably full sun), as well as how different lighting affects the clarity and color of the pictures. Unfortunately, none of the pictures that I'll be using in this post came out quite as clear as I'd like. Oh well, you live, you learn.

Anyway...

I bought Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Rockstar Pink, which is a glitter-beast consisting of magenta-y pink, red, blue, and gold microglitter in a clear base, on the same day that I bought Wet n' Wild Party Of Five Glitters. So late August. And it's just so sparkly and pink and sparkly and glittery and sparkly that I knew right away that it was the polish I'd be wearing on New Year's. So I swatched it on my nail wheel, and then tucked it away for four months.

I was so excited on December 31st when I finally got to pull it out and use it. At first, I thought I would probably have to throw on a base color, so I tried swatching it over a few of my Kleancolor metallics, but in the end, I just ended up using my regular basecoat, four coats of Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Rockstar Pink, and two coats of topcoat to even things out (since the glitter is super fine, it's not terribly rough, but it does eat topcoat more than a non-glitter polish would).

Mmmm, blurry.
Indoors, artificial light, no flash.

I'm pretty sure this was after the first coat of topcoat, so you can see that it's still looking not-quite-smooth. Much more color-accurate than the first picture.
Indoors, artificial light, flash.

Mmm, blurry again! A close up, so you can see the glitters better. Not great, but better.
Indoors, artificial light, no flash.

Rockstar Pink gives pretty good coverage with four coats, as you can see. But, with that many coats, (plus two coats of topcoat) it also ends up chipping like crazy after about three days, as I mentioned in my last post.

Removal was tricky. I could've peeled most of it off in chunks by the fourth day, but I don't like what that does to my nails, so I tried the foil method, and I think this is the first time the foil method has ever failed me. So, in the end, I ended up having to scrub the crap out of each nail with two or three cotton balls soaked with remover, and got little, tiny glitters all over the goddamn place. This is NOT my favorite polish to remove.

It is very sparkly (and glittery and sparkly and pink and sparkly), though, and even though I'm not a super pink-y type of girl, I really liked it. At one point, I think I described it to my boyfriend as "Barbie diarrhea". But you know, in a good way.

Will I be wearing it again any time soon? To be honest, probably not, 'cause it was a pain to take off. But it looks so pretty in the bottle and on my fingers that I can't swear it off completely.

Now, usually, I feel so guilty for not posting more often that I end up cramming multiple manis into each post. But I'm cutting myself off at one today. That leaves me with two manis in my "Ready For Blog" folder, so hopefully I'll feel more motivated to post again soon. Hopefully...

Any of you wear any good glitter-bombs lately?

8 comments:

  1. Lol at barbie diarrhea. Ive had a few that the foil method just didnt budge. Then my fingers hurt so bad after the scrubbing. Sometimes its just not worth the trouble. Bummer is, i think i have this and yet to try it :-s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, no joke. There I was, sitting in a freezing cold car in a parking lot, furiously trying to scrub off this polish. I couldn't even feel my fingertips! XD

      Delete
  2. i get so excited when i see a new post of yours come up in my google reader. i mean seriously. your writing is so funny and your nails are to die for. i mean srsly.

    also i found the funky fingers at 5 below last week! yayyy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'awwww! That totally made my night! <3

      And ooh, did you buy any??

      Delete
  3. I don't do pink or glitter so hmmmm what do I say about this mani? I can only imagine what a PITA this was to remove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Gods, it really was ridonkulous to remove.

      It's weird; I don't usually wear pink nail polish (on my fingers, at least), but I own something like twenty four pink polishes. WHY?

      And I'm a sucker for glitters. I didn't used to be. This is definitely something that started in 2011. They're just so pretty in the bottles that I'm like, "I HAVE TO OWN THIS!". The weird part is that I usually don't really love glitters on my fingers. I think I like them more for looking at in the bottles than on my hands. But I keep buying them and wearing them anyway. : /

      Delete
  4. Pretty! Sometimes I've had success removing a really stubborn glitter by glopping on some cheap topcoat to soften up the layers before getting at them with acetone and a cotton pad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's a good idea! I may have to try that next time I have a stubborn glitter.

      Side-note: When I was a kid, I used to use clear nail polish to dissolve the paint on my Barbies's faces. After I'd wiped their lipstick, blush, and eyes completely off, I'd design my own faces for them using nail polish and sharpies. ; )

      Delete