Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sometimes I'm Willing To Settle.

Oh, weekends, why do you go by so fast? Oh, yeah, because I have to work seven days a week to keep up with all the customer support emails that have been coming in lately. Greaaat. (Sigh.)

Anywho, back when I first started getting more serious about nail polish, I came across a bunch of reviews and posts about Essie Starry Starry Night, and instantly fell in love.

This was also right around the time I learned about matte polishes and matte topcoats, and I desperately wanted to do a mattified manicure with Starry Starry Night, so I scampered off to buy Essie Matte About You (plus a backup bottle), since I figured it was way more cost effective to buy a topcoat that I could use to mattify all my polishes, instead of investing in just a few matte polishes.

Sadly, I was not able to procure a bottle of Starry Starry Night, since it costs about a zillion dollars on Ebay, and I draw the line at right around $60 (hellooooo, Clarins 230).

So, when China Glaze came out with its Metro collection, I spotted Skyscraper, and immediately thought, "Close enough!".

Now, I know there are some people out there who are kind of sticklers about dupes, and I'm definitely not claiming that Essie Starry Starry Night and China Glaze Skyscraper are dupes by any means. But they do both have silver glitter in a darkish blue jelly base, and are similar enough that Skyscraper has sated my lemming for Starry Starry Night.

I mean, if I can ever get my greedy little mits on a bottle of SSN for a reasonable price, I'd for sure snatch it up, but as long as I've got Skyscraper, I won't be totally heartbroken if that never happens.

China Glaze Skyscraper is chockablock full of tiny silver glitters in a dark blue jelly base. I'd almost call the color a dark denim blue. Application wasn't great. The first coat went on streaky as all get-out, and even the second coat didn't go on as smoothly or easily as I'd hoped, but three coats was enough to even it out and build it up to opaque.*

You can just barely make out my nail lines in this picture, so I guess three coats wasn't 100% opaque in extremely bright light, but for all intents and purposes, three coats works.
Artificial light, flash.

To my eyes, this is the most color-accurate picture. This polish seems to photograph slighter lighter than it is in brighter lights.
Artificial light, no flash.


Kinda blurry, sorry.
Indirect natural light.



I had the same ol' problem with this polish shrinking after I applied my topcoat. I'm thinking it might be time to just bite the bullet and buy myself a new bottle. I don't think I've ever actually finished a bottle of topcoat. They always get too stringy and globby about 2/3 of the way through. What's up with that, topcoat!??

Anyway, about twenty four hours after I did this mani, I decided to slap on my Essie Matte About You, and finally rock that matte "starry" manicure I've been craving for ages.

That's some serious shrinkage, right there.
Artificial light, flash.


Artificial light, no flash.

Indirect natural light.

I can never really decide if I like matte manicures. When I'm planning them, I always think, "This is going to look so awesome and tuff!", and then, when I actually have it on my hands, I'm like, "This is falling way flat.". Of all the polishes I've mattified, though (all, like, three of them), this is my favorite so far.

Now that I've got these pictures up, and I'm looking at them in all their gigantic macro-shot glory, I'm kind of grossed out by how much of my tips are showing, so I think I'm going to go take this polish of right now.

What are your thoughts on matte polishes and matte topcoats? What's your favorite matte polish, or your favorite mattified manicure?




*I'm still using Revlon Quick Dry Base Coat for now.  Still gotta order a new NailTek II.

5 comments:

  1. Ah-HA! So you WOULD wear a glitter polish! I KNEW IT!!! ; D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, thank you, Blogger, for somehow erasing TWO comments (one my own, and one from Fingers), even though I clearly only selected my own comment for deletion. Fail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sixty dollars?!! Ok I feel less crazy for some of the crap I've bought, that's nutso! Skyscraper looks crazy pretty though, both shiny and matte. Did you ever pick up nubar Night Sparkle? I think that's still my favorite blue sparkle number.

    ps. quit talkin' to yerself. ;) (stupid Blogger!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen Clarins 230 on Ebay for as high as $150=$200, but someone must've found a hidden stash of it or something, 'cause there have been a bunch of sales at about $60 recently, so I figured I'd nab a bottle while it was still somewhat affordable. I'm thinking $60 is the limit for what I'm willing to spend on a single bottle of nail polish. ; )

      Sadly, I don't own ANY Nubars. How lame is that?

      Also: How crazy would it be if all of you were in my imagination, and I was actually just sitting here posting comments to myself? O_o

      Delete
    2. Argh, that '=' was supposed to be a '-'. I wish I could edit my comments. (Sigh.)

      Delete